Wednesday, May 27, 2009

I'm a gardener!

I am growing stuff! I can call myself a gardener. I cannot yet call myself a successful gardener, but that day will come when we can actually eat what I'm growing now :)

So here is how my garden is looking today.

My tomatoes are doing pretty good. A few edges are crinkled from the night chill, but all in all they're strong. I have a couple still in kozy coats, those are looking great. They're growing in Maxikaps which you can find at Garden Retreat in Calgary. My herbs are mostly good, although I think I will be replacing the basil soon, it wasn't hardened off enough I don't think.

Photobucket

My peas are doing great! This is the first batch, I planted the seeds April 30th (so about a month ago. As this is my first year, I have no idea if that is slow, fast or right on track for where they should be, but I love seeing them come up and develop! My second batch (planted two weeks later on May 14th) have started to show. Not sure if I should do a third batch, I've almost run out of room for pots.

Photobucket

My beets are everywhere! One of my favorite garden veggies, I hope these are successful. I planted the seeds May 12th, so this is about two weeks later. Now I have to start learning about thinning out.

Photobucket

And here is my newest addition, my strawberry pot. I wasn't going to do strawberries, as I understand they don't really fruit until the second year, and I probably won't be able to overwinter them. But my mom kindly shared her plant credits at this years Calgary Horticulture Plant Share, and so I picked up a bunch for free. If they don't work, oh well, hopefully they'll flower and look pretty anyways.

Photobucket

I have moved my lettuce to the side of the shed, there is less light in the afternoon so will hopefully keep them cooler. I can't tell if they're all coming up wonderfully, or if that's just all weeds from the compost. My other containers don't look like that, so I'm hoping it's all lettuce shoots! I planted these seeds on May 15th, so again just under two weeks.

Photobucket

The spinach is looking great. I'm hoping this will turn out to be an easy and yummy veggie to grow, we love spinach! The seeds were also planted May 15th.

Photobucket

I didn't bother taking pictures of the zucchini. They're still under the cloches, so you can't really see them anyways. But they're doing great!

And here are my vegetable gardens from afar. It still looks pretty junky filled with old containers, but soon, it will be big growing plants!

Photobucket
Photobucket

This is a perinnial that obviously some previous tenant had planted. I have no idea what it is, but I have two big mounds of it growing. I had to prune back some tall stems, so I'm hoping its something pretty! Anyone know what it might be?

Photobucket

And here is a nice surprise. In the ugliest area of our yard, beside the composter and recycle bin, a sweet little Johnny Jump Up has made an appearance. In such a destiture area of the yard, I love to see it's happy little face smiling up at me every day.

Photobucket
Photobucket

Moving out to the front yard, the flowers are starting to come up. Here is a barrel with some sunflowers growing quickly. Those sprouts weren't there yesterday! The seeds were planted May 15th. There are also marigold seeds planted in the same container, but I don't see them yet.

Photobucket

My scarlett runner beans haven't made an appearance yet. Maybe tomorrow...

But my cosmos are up! Both containers are chock full of 'em. I planted the seeds May 14th (same day as the scarlett runner beans).

Photobucket

My snapdragons aren't up yet either (another May 14th seeding). Again, maybe tomorrow, it's amazing how one day they're just all there!

And my sweetpeas are doing fantastic! Some even have tendrils and are starting to grab onto the branches.

Photobucket

And here is my front garden. Much better than how it started don'tcha think?

Photobucket

5 comments:

Coldprairie said...

Aha! So that's what a maxi-kap looks like. I'm buying three this weekend for tomatoes and cukes (no one to donate them to me) :( and I've never seen one in action.

Are they Calgary's local secret or what? I can hardly even find them online, and yet everyone's heard of Earthboxes. Me thinks someone needs a better marketing department.

Garden looks great by the way.

Jennifer said...

Thanks Coldprairie!

The maxi-kaps are awesome! I have them sitting in those bins, but you can get some stunning custom planters to put them in instead. And I am probably wrong, but I think you only can get them in Calgary at Garden Retreat. I haven't looked into it, but I'm sure I will be wanting more next year!

Anonymous said...

You can also buy the dirt for the Maxikap at Plantation Garden Centre on fourth street N.W. and around 24th avenue. A good place to buy herbs (and good prices but get there early) is at the Calgary Farmer's Market. The gal just sells herbs.
dianes

Laura said...

Lovely! I really like the maxi-kap's! What a great idea! You're peas are looking great, they are further along than mine!

Jennifer said...

Dianes, thanks for the tip on Plantation Garden Centre, I forgot about that little place. I went a couple years ago, and it was a cute little place! I bought a little curry plant there, I can still smell the fragrence in my memory. I might have to pick up more! And I'll have to check out the farmers market too!

And thanks for the comment Laura! I am already planning my future veggie beds based on the raised beds you made this year!